Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows? Sweet Scoop!

puppies, domestic animal, dogs

Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows? – No, They Can’t

As much as we love to indulge in the sweet, pillowy softness of marshmallows, these sugary treats aren’t for sharing with our furry friends. No, dogs should not eat marshmallows due to the high sugar content and presence of harmful additives that can lead to health issues such as obesity and diabetes. In some cases, marshmallows may contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs, even in small quantities. It’s always important to prioritize your pet’s health, so let’s resist the temptation to toss a marshmallow their way.

Can Puppies Eat Marshmallows?

The same rule that stands for adult dogs is even more vital for puppies. No, puppies cannot eat marshmallows. Younger dogs have developing bodies and are more sensitive to the adverse effects of foods not suited to their digestive system. Given puppies’ tendencies for rapid growth and energy, adding unnecessary sugars and artificial ingredients can throw off their delicate balance and cause immediate or long-term health problems.

Why Are Marshmallows Harmful for Dogs?

Marshmallows might seem like a harmless treat, but they’re far from a safe snack for our canine companions. Here’s why:

Excessive Sugar Content

The high sugar concentration in marshmallows can lead to health complications such as obesity, dental problems, and even diabetes in dogs. Their systems are not geared to process such high levels of sugar, possibly leading to a quick spike in blood glucose and subsequent crash, causing lethargy and other issues.

Potential Xylitol Presence

Some marshmallows may contain xylitol, a sweetener that’s highly toxic to dogs. Xylitol can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, or even death in severe cases. The toxicity can occur rapidly, making it important to check labels and keep any xylitol-containing foods well out of a dog’s reach.

Choking Hazard

The squishy texture of marshmallows makes them a choking hazard, especially for smaller dogs or breeds with brachycephalic (short-nosed) traits. If a dog doesn’t chew the marshmallow thoroughly, it can get stuck in their throat or cause obstructions in their digestive tract.

Symptoms to Watch Out For After Dogs Consume Marshmallows

  • Vomiting or Diarrhea: These symptoms can indicate that your dog’s stomach is upset from the marshmallows, whether from the sugar or other ingredients they contain.
  • Hyperactivity or Lethargy: A rapid change in energy levels can be a sign of a blood sugar spike or drop following the ingestion of candies like marshmallows.
  • Difficulty Breathing: If your dog is struggling to breathe, it could be a sign of choking on a piece of marshmallow or an allergic reaction to an ingredient.

Immediate Steps to Take if Your Dog Eats Marshmallows

  • Assess the Situation: Determine how much and what kind of marshmallows your dog ate to provide accurate information to professionals.
  • Contact Your Vet: If your dog has consumed marshmallows, particularly ones with xylitol, call your vet or an emergency pet poison control center immediately.
  • Monitor Your Dog: Keep a close eye on your pet for any signs of distress, and be ready to provide supportive care as directed by a veterinarian.

Safe Alternatives to Marshmallows

While marshmallows are dangerous for dogs, there are safe alternatives that they can enjoy. Consider offering your dog these safer food options instead:

  • Carrots – A healthy and crunchy snack that’s great for their teeth and low in calories.
  • Apples – A sweet but safe treat, apples provide fiber and vitamins without the dangerous sugars.
  • Blueberries – These small berries are packed with antioxidants and are a nutritious snack for your pup.


It’s best to err on the side of caution and keep marshmallows away from dogs. The risks involved—from the high sugar content and xylitol to potential choking—are simply too great. By staying vigilant and providing our pets with safe and healthy alternatives, we can ensure they live happy and healthy lives without missing out on the occasional treat.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my dog accidentally eats marshmallows?

Immediately assess how many they’ve eaten and check the ingredients for xylitol. If any amount is consumed, it’s crucial to contact your vet right away.

Can marshmallows cause diabetes in dogs?

While an occasional marshmallow isn’t likely to cause diabetes, regular consumption of sugary treats does increase the risk of a dog developing diabetes over time.

Are there any marshmallows that are safe for dogs?

Generally, no marshmallows are considered safe for dogs, especially because of the risk of xylitol and other harmful ingredients.

How can I know if marshmallows have xylitol?

Always read the ingredient list on the marshmallow packaging to check for xylitol, which is toxic to dogs, before considering giving any to your pup.